Drug cocktail causes fridge explosion

Sep 11, 2010 - VANCOUVER (CBC) - Emergency crews were called to an apartment building in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside after a tenant's refrigerator exploded Friday night.

Police Insp. Eric Grummisch said a drug cocktail in the fridge caused the explosion at a rooming house in the 100 block of Main Street at about 7:30 p.m. PT.

"A tenant had treated a small amount of marijuana with a solvent and placed it in his refrigerator where it reacted to the light of the refrigerator bulb," he said.

"Apparently, that [light] remained on because the door was not fully closed, and that resulted in the refrigerator exploding."

Grummisch said there was severe damage to the room but no one was injured. He said no charges have been laid.

A Calgary man was sent to hospital earlier this year after his fridge exploded under similar circumstances. In that case, police said volatile substances used to make hashish oil were to blame.

No comments:

Post a Comment